According to research conducted by the US Environmental Protection Agency, recycling scrap metals can be quite beneficial to the environment. Using recycled scrap metal in place of virgin iron ore can yield:
- 75% savings in energy.
- 90% savings in raw materials used.
- 86% reduction in air pollution.
- 40% reduction in water use.
- 76% reduction in water pollution.
- 97% reduction in mining wastes.
Every ton of new steel made from scrap steel saves:
- 1,115 kg of iron ore.
- 625 kg of coal.
- 53 kg of limestone.
Energy savings from other metals include:
- Aluminium savings of 95% energy.
- Copper savings of 85% energy.
- Lead savings of 65% energy.
- Zinc savings of 60% energy.